Tips to keep your sanity and your joy
December is here and with it brings the sounds of Christmas music and the sight of sparkling lights and holiday decor. The holiday season can be joyous, yet it can also be a stress-filled time of the year. Shopping, entertaining, attending parties, wrapping gifts, cleaning and cooking are just a few of the “add-ons” to our already busy schedules.
10 tips to get through the holiday season as stress-free as possible:
- YOU Time: Take a bit of time each day just for YOU. This isn’t a selfish act! There is much more of you when you take care of yourself. Soak in the bath, read a good book, enjoy a cup of tea, exercise, pause and reflect. How about a Facial? The perfect home facial treat to keep your glow going is to Cleanse your skin, apply Recovery, then apply a thin layer of Enzyme Crème Mask to the face and neck and soak in an Epsom salt bath with your favorite essential oils for 20 minutes. Remove the mask with a warm wet towel and apply Intensive Moisturizer liberally.
- Visit a Spa or Resort: Be pampered. Book an appointment for a massage, facial, or pedicure. Block the time off of your schedule, turn the phone off, and enjoy replenishing your energy. Resorts are decorated beautifully for the holidays and spending some time in a local resort can renew your sense of wonder for the holidays.
- Simplify Things: No expectations = no disappointments. Examine your schedule and see if there are tasks that you can delegate or simplify. Don’t go it alone and take on extra work during this time.
- Practice Gratitude: To practice gratitude, you need to feel gratitude. Breathe deeply and connect with something in your life you feel deeply grateful for.
- Listen to Music: It is calming and can make you happy. Try noise cancelling headphones for a real concert sound that lifts your spirits while the rest of the world slips into the background.
- Help Others: Volunteering or assisting is a wonderful way to shift focus from you and to help others. Small actions with positive intentions are a wonderful way to give to others and help the community where you live become a better place.
- Set Realistic Goals: Hosting a dinner at your place? Keep it simple. Ask your friends and family to bring a dish, or to give you a hand. People like to help!
- Get Proper Rest: Have a nap, relax with a book, or go to bed early. If you are well rested, you will deal with stress better and have more energy to get through the busy times.
- Learn to Say NO: This can often be difficult for many of us. We don’t want to change tradition, or disappoint. But really, you don’t need to say yes to every event. Friends and family will understand.
- Stay Positive: You’ll feel much better, and so will those around you. If you find your mood going south, stop what you’re doing, breathe deeply and focus on something that brings joy into your life. Keep breathing until you find your center and feel your body relax. We all need to reset now and then, especially during the holidays.